Sunday, February 27, 2005

Naturalist - Naturalism

Naturalist

1 : one that advocates or practices naturalism
2 : a student of natural history; especially : a field biologist

natural history the study of the life history of plants and animals.

nat·u·ral·ism

1 : action, inclination, or thought based only on natural desires and instincts
2 : a theory denying that an event or object has a supernatural significance; specifically : the doctrine that scientific laws are adequate to account for all phenomena

As a naturalist I study and learn about nature. As a naturalist I reject the fallacy that life could evolve from a big bang or a single cell or other type of basic origin apart from God.

I see society mainly illiterate about nature. Society choses to spend money for recreation and pleasure when there is an abundance of beauty and pleasure all around that is free. We reject the creator of nature and then block ourselves from it and have little knowledge of it and then say that God has no part in nature. The way nature is handled is evident that there is illiteracy in much of our understanding of nature.

I don't judge people that are not interested in nature that is not what I want to do. I see nature as a opportunity for enjoyment and reflection of life. I see nature as a therapy for myself to quiet my soul to hear what my future should be. Problems do not seem as big when viewed from a log in the middle of the woods. They may be much bigger when viewed in front of a computer screen.

I seem less significant or I seem small when in a natural surrounding. Yet at the same time I seem more significant when I view myself and my future from a natural surrounding. I approach the creator of nature in prayer for answers for my life in the midst of handiwork that is so much greater than words can express. What He did with the world he can do with my life. His genius in developing the ecology of the world and its resiliency to bounce back from almost any calamity encourages me to look to Him to help me cope with the problems of life.

Naturalism that denies God, denies the basis of nature. From this weakness there is danger to not come to a true understanding of how nature works. True one can still view and understand biology etc. But to deny God is to fly in the face of what God asks of us. That is to have a reverent fear of Him. To fear God is to have the beginning point of wisdom. To reject God is to reject the basis for wisdom. One may learn and understand a lot. But a time will come when the foundations of understanding will be tested. Then the weakness of not acknowledging God will be revealed.

Some hold to naturalism because it frees them from dealing with having to acknowledge a creator. I want to show my creator by the work He has done in nature.

3 comments:

  1. As a naturalist (in the sense of field biology), I find naturalism deeply fulfilling. I don't deny the divine, but I find the interconnectedness of life fascinating and beautiful.

    Calling the Big Bang a "fallacy" implies that you can disprove it from data. You reject it from personal faith, and that's different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a tension between science and faith. One can't exist (as naturalism, evolution is taught) completely if the other is true. As a man of faith I reject naturalism.

    I believe because of Scripture, that the interconnectedness of life was designed by our creator. The more I learn the more I am in awe of what He has done.

    I can't disprove science but I do accept Scripture as being inspired by God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am a Naturalist coming from that same point of view as you. It takes greater faith to believe that everything originated by accident from a Big Bang, then from the hand of a wise Creator.

    Problems do shrink in the face of the beauty of God's handiwork. None of man's contrivances- even the computer- can compare to God's handiwork.

    ReplyDelete