Thursday, July 22, 2004

What I Mean by: Christian Naturalist

Being a naturalist means there is never a lack of things to do.
You don’t have to wait for the show to come on TV. You don’t have to wait for it to warm up or for the season to come for your sport. No matter what time of year or the time of day there is always a wealth of things to see and observe.

You don’t have to work to spend money on being a naturalist because nature is free. Reading books and travel costs but nature itself is free.  God’s gift to me is His magnificent expanse. Everywhere I go is a new adventure.  Winter snows bring the fun of tracking.

February an off month for many is a great time of year for Missouri where I live. There are no bugs to deal with. No cobwebs to brush away or wipe off your sweaty face. The woods are open because the leaves are not out yet. So it is easy walking. The deep freeze is mainly over so the bitter cold is gone. Parks are empty no one is there.

There is so much to learn. I could spend the rest of my life watching, learning, hiking, reading and studying and I don’t feel I would scratch the surface.

It is the same with studying the Bible. The more you study the more there is to study. Jesus wrote the Bible and He created our world.
I want to get to know Jesus and when I study the Bible or nature I understand my creator better. Learning from the 2 things He has created nature and the Bible. Both are great avenues of learning.

When I am between planed things to do. I look outside and am reminded of what God is doing and will do. I am encouraged to expect Him to act on my behalf.

"Oh the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!" Romans 11:33

9 comments:

  1. AnonymousMay 15, 2009

    Great post and an neat site. Will be back to check it out more. Linked from Christian Nature blog. Just found her site also when she found mine. Lee's Birdwatching Adventures Plus at http://Leesbird.com
    We do Birdwatching from a Christian Perspective.
    I also believe God created it all and He is my Savior.
    In Him, Lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Tried to look up the Christian Nature blog but I have discovered that Lee has gone into eternity before us. I'm sure her blog was a blessing when it was here.

      Delete
    2. Whoops. I meant April Lorier has gone to be with the Lord. Her blog is no longer up. Lee's is in fine condition.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it great that we do not have to have PhDs from Ivy League Schools to fall in love with God's Creation? Even children love exploring what He has created! I pray your site ministers to others who are seeking what we have found!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, I have your feed on my side bar, and would be honored to have my link on yours. We seem to share the same viewpoint on God and His Creation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site. I moved from SE Nebraska to Wyoming last year and it's great to see the Eastern Deciduous Woodland plants again. I've been searching for Christian Naturalist sites and it seems as though they are quite rare. That puzzles me, giving that naturalist activities can be so complementary. I have to wonder if the resistance against Naturalism (similar name) is stealing some of the joy that can come from seeing God more fully as a complex and passionate Creator? Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jarren,

    That is why I posted this subject. What I want to do is reach out to those who may not have a true knowledge of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice tie in. I'm also a "Christian naturalist" with a blog (http://rainwoodmission.blogspot.ca/). I'd have to agree with the comments above. There is a growing interest in the natural world in Christian perspective. It is a challenging age to make that connection but I think your doing a fine job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sorry to hear April passed away. I liked her blog and noticed she was not posting anymore. Thanks Caleb for your comments.

    ReplyDelete