Saturday, August 04, 2007

Possum haw


Leaves shape varries narrow to egg shapped. Leaf edges wavy. Leaves don't match my field guides exactly but branch pattern seems obvious.


The twigs are stiff and the buds are pointed.


I found a Possum haw.
Ilex decidua

Also called Deciduous Holly


Here are the photos I had in the winter. I went back and ID'ed the tree with my Tree guide.

It is fun finding trees in the winter, then going back in other seasons and finding them again. It is interesting to see the changes.

Intoxicated birds may be observed after eating the fermented fruit.

The tree or sometimes shrub is also called Deciduous holly.

The tree is easy for me to identify by the branching characteristics.

The tree can withstand some flooding in the formative first few years. It is a good tree for fruit production. Most trees will have some fruit. The fruit will stay on the tree into the winter.

Hollies have only one bundle scar in the leaf scar!

No comments:

Post a Comment