Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Green Ash Sapling; 30-May-09 Hike

I decided to ride my bicycle to these woods. Combining both of my hobbies makes it doubly fun. I pulled off the road and walked my bicycle up the hill and locked it against a tree. I have never seen anyone hiking in these woods. I have seen signs of paint ball but that is far from where I am. I felt sure my bike would be safe.

I stopped to look at an Ash sapling that was leaning across the trail I was hiking down.

The leaves are stalked. (stalked means the base of the leaf comes to a narrow point before it attaches to the twig). This rules out Black ash.

The leaves were green below, this rules out White ash which has a pale color on the under surface. Also White ash has deeply notched leaf scars. These twigs did not.

The twigs are not ridged which rules out Blue ash.

The Red, Biltmore and Pumpkin ashes have hairy twigs.

Therefore it is a Green ash.


Photo of the bottom view of the green ash leaves.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Scott! There's something so restful about that color of green. And when light shines on it, well, if it were black and white, I'd say it was very Ansel Adams-ish!

    ReplyDelete