Thursday, March 04, 2010

Curved Shingle Oak Revisited


I revisited the curving Shingle oak. And noticed the preponderance of galls growing in the branches. This is common in Shingle oak around here. This tree does not branch out much but grows upward because of being hemmed in.

I did not find any advanced regeneration of Oak in this area. Advanced regeneration is saplings growing up under the mature trees. They will be able to advance and take dominance when the mature trees die off.

One way Oak regenerates is from sprouting from stumps. Buds that are dominate near the base of a tree may sprout. The younger a tree is the more likely that the tree will sprout. Trees from sprouts have an advantage because of the mature root system to draw on to grow. If this Oak dies or is damaged the likelyhood of sprouts from this stump are low because of the mature age of the tree.

Below is the photo of the curved tree 21/Dec/2007


Tomorrow I will tell you of the next tree I stopped at. There are 5 trees I will describe and at the end I will show a video as I walked through the woods to see these trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment