Tuesday, August 05, 2014

CHINESE ELM Ulmus parvifolia


I have been coming to this park for years. And have walked down this way as I have looked at trees. But I forgot of these trees planted in these 2 rows as you see here. 

I sat down here and took this photo. They are at an angle to the park boundary and the access road to the parking lot. So at a glance they seem to be just some trees planted in the park.

The trees are old now, but in years past was this area used for ceremonies such as weddings or photos? I can envision wedding photos or year book pictures taken here. People may still come to celebrate life here with photos.

As the name implies, these trees are not native to the US. It grows naturally in China, Viet Nam, Japan and Korea.


The fragrance of Chinese elm is unlike other elms, it seems peppery or spicy. The finish of the wood for furniture turns out well with less work than most woods.

Click on the link at the bottom of this post to see the 2010 post I did of these trees from the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment