Friday, July 23, 2004

Protection

 
Hiking today along a forest trail. It started to rain. The pitter patter of the rain on the leaf canopy was soothing. A sense of protection if you walk in the woods in the rain with out getting wet. I came into an opening and noticed that the rain was not hard. It was just drizzling.

The day was not hot. But there was some humidity. I was headed for blackberries. I thought maybe they would be getting ripe. Not many were ripe. I didn't have a bag with me. I was only able to walk there for a short time. So I planned to eat as I walked. That was the way it worked out. There were not many ripe berries. But I enjoyed eating as I went.

On the way back the rain picked up a little bit. I didn't mind it though. Summer rains feel good. On a light rain I noticed that rain drops beeded up on the grass but not on tree leaves. I wonder if that was because the grass was more or less flat and the tree leaves were slanted down. Or was it because tree leaves were bigger allowing the rain drops to group together and break the water surface tension? It was neat to see the water droplets on the grass.

I try to walk fast to increase my distance in the time alloted. But with the rain it is harder. The rain made it a little slippery. I slipped once on a motorcycle rut. I kept my balance and didn't fall. I am thankful to God I can walk in the woods. He is so good to me.

Before I headed back I sat sown and watched the woods. I wonder how much rain it takes before it gets through the forest to the ground? Does the rain caught by the leaves just evaporate.

How fast does a raindrop fall. What impact does it do to the soil if it falls unheeded? With a forest the rain is caught by the leaves and then falls to the ground. How much protection do plants offer the soil?

I know that in no till farming the soil is preserved from erosion. It is cheaper for the farmer and is better for the ground. Less impact on the soil.

Soil is like our heart. Plants are like the preparation we have to cope with the events of life. The more we are prepared the better we can cope. But are we ever really prepared for the storms of life? I know I gain much solace from my Lord Jesus. I go to Him when my heart is troubled. In reading His word and prayer there is peace. Life brings many troubles. God gives peace and rest. As plants wait for rain and sun so I wait for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment