Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Bird log Watkins Mill State park 20-Sep-06

Orange grebe neck bigger than mallard in flight
Long beek
didn’t notice legs or tail
looked back and forth as it swam, neck straight up

The closest I can ID it is the female Anhinga
The gular pouch was not distinct from the throat so that rules out the double crested
cormorant


I saw about 30 turkey vultures circling on the west side of the lake. After about 10
minutes they dispersed.


Seagull sized bird long orange sized beak.
light gray above bright white below.
black tail band
hovered a few times in flight

It flew back and forth across the lake. Drooped to the lake for a moment then flew off
again. Much more active flying than a gull.
Herring gull is the closest I can ID it.

dirty White rump
small duck size
lighter underside of neck ; back head and eye darker.
diving short bill smaller than a duck I saw 14 swimming together.
It could be an immature purple Gallinule p 126 in new Peterson’s bird guide.

As I was watching birds I heard the whoosh whoosh whoosh of the wings of a turkey
vulture.

I saw a Belted Kingfisher fly by.
I was not able to ID the swallows darting across the lake.
I saw a number of Blue jays

Saw a Great blue heron 2 toned wings gray back flying with neck folded deep throaded
croak. I saw a juvenile Great Blue heron fishing on the lake edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment