Saturday, September 02, 2006

Serving Jesus can Change Our Attitude

A 50 mile an hour wind blew through our neighborhood the other day. My
neighbor’s Sweet Gum tree I normally
admire, threw its barbed fruit into yard with a vengeance. The west side of
our yard was covered with them. Picking up the 1 1/2” barbed fruit more or
less filled up my large wheel barrel that I use to haul firewood. I burned
them in our fireplace and it surprised me how long they burned.



Sweet Gum is a beautiful and healthy looking treen with dark green leaves
and a straight trunk providing abundant shade. The Fall colors are
outstanding. It can live in upland sites but thrives in wet lowland areas
putting down a tap root. The tree is intolerant of shade, meaning it will grow
in open areas. It is a hardy tree resisting disease and insects, but can’t hold
up against fire.



Sweet Gum has a unique barbed fruit. It is a prickly ball that is 1 1/2 inches
in diameter. The barbed fruit stays on the tree long after the seeds are gone.
We spent a lot of time picking them up. I don't mind it though, because I
love trees and welcome working in our yard. I got my kids to help and we
had a good time together.



While I was picking up the barbed fruit I was wondering why it didn't
bother me. Many people would be complaining about the unexpected work.
There are many things I would complain about, but an opportunity to work
in the yard is always a pleasure. My attitude was good, because of my love
for nature.



Can we have a good attitude when we work for the Lord in areas which
aren’t fun? Jesus came to serve and He wants us to have that same attitude.
(Mark
10:35)



Jesus identifies with those that are in need. If we take the attitude that we
are helping Jesus when we help others our heart will change. (Matthew 25:31-46)



Our attitude makes all the difference in the world. Take the attitude of
serving Jesus and it will take the pain of the job away and give you joy. We
all want to be a help, but the work involved hinders us. When problems
come, rejoice that you are able to serve Jesus. Do all that you do for Jesus
and He will reward you for your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment