Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sight Distance

I stopped at a park for lunch. I wanted to test how far I could see through these cottonwoods in the winter compared to the summer. I parked at the gate at Riverfront park and walked down the road about ½ way. There was an Eastern Red cedar on the west. I used that as my starting point into the woods. I walked westerly and a little bit north. On that line there was a 3' tall and 1” dia. stub.



I picked out a tree that was distinctive and walked to it counting my paces. I walked about 270 to 280 feet.

The first photo is shooting back the way I hiked in.



There is a 1-2” dia. snag laying up against a cottonwood. Taking a photo of this (above) was not informative because of the quantity of trees. I will try to find the same tree in the summer. Here is the photo of the tree I selected to find again in the summer. I set the camera on 10 second delay and laid it at the foot of the tree.







14 paces is a westerly direction and a little bit south is the photo of a poison ivy vine growing up a cottonwood tree.

As I was looking for a good photo I noticed the breeze would cause the trees to rock back and forth. There is little rubbing between tree branches.

The lack of shrubbery is noticeable in these woods. This land was parkland and then abandoned. Later the land had been reopened. Cottonwood trees grew up in the parkland without competition in the grass.

I want to get a measurement technique to judge the # of trees per acre. The low cost one would be a 11.8' rope swung in a circle would measure 1/100th of an acre.

No comments:

Post a Comment