Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Redbud


Notice in this photo the bowl of the tree is cracked. I have found this in a number of redbuds. The wood is very hard which may cause cracking instead of flexing with the wind.

Red Bud is one of my favorite trees. I have a lot of them popping up in my back yard. It is a short lived tree and because of the irregular shape has no commercial value.

In the spring the buds can be seen in the winter woods budding out before many others trees start their activity.

The seeds may remain inactive/dormant for years.

They have been known to flower after 7 years though they do not produce fruit the first year.

I have found by trying to transplant Redbud from one part of my yard to another that they produce a deep tap root.



The older redbuds get the less tolerance for shade they have. What I have noticed that some redbuds start inside the forest edge but they branch out toward the edge of the woods.

I remember taking some photos of large redbuds in some woods near my house. But now they are gone to development. I have not run across the photos as of yet.

Redbud Cercis canandensis

Fact sheet

2 comments:

  1. Hi, the Redbud is also known as the Judas Tree. I find that interesting because there is a legend about the Dogwood being the "Jesus" tree and the Redbud being the Judas Tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I vaguely remember something like that.

    ReplyDelete