Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Northern Catalpa / Catalpa speciosa

There was some Catalpa on my property that I had cut down and used for firewood. The wood is light and straight grained. I enjoyed using it for firewood kindling. The neighbors also had some cut down so I had quite a bit of it through the past years. The wood is durable and does not rot as fast as some other logs in my wood pile.

It will grow anywhere but it does best in the bottoms. The tree has been used for fence posts in the past.



I ran across this catalpa tree on a hike recently. One of the main characteristics is the round leaf scar. Inside the leaf scar are bundle scars. Those also are positioned in an oval. A bundle scar are markings on the twig where the vascular bundles had been broken off where it used to be attached.




Light gray/brn bark.

Virginia Tech fact sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment