Saturday, November 17, 2007

Post Oak / Quercus stellata


It's not often that I come across a Post oak. They are listed to be native where I live but I have not seen any for a long time. Yesterday I came across this one. It is a small tree with blocky bark. The leaves are unique in that the lobes form a distinctive cross.


The bark is listed as ashy gray and later in its life becoming blocky. This tree is on a hill which probably does not have good soil and therefore may be shallow before bedrock. My guess this tree is quite old thought it is less then 10" dia. You can see the scale by the leaf near the bowl of the tree.

End buds grouped at the end of the twig is typical for oaks.





Trees of Missouri lists the hairs on the under surface of the leaves as star shaped. I want to return to see those with a hand lens.

The tree is drought resistant and is also slow growing. But it will live up to 300 years or more. It may live where clay is below the surface of the soil about 20" which creates soggy soil in the spring and dry soil in the summer.

The wood is used for railroad ties, fence posts, general construction, firewood, and furniture.

No comments:

Post a Comment