Monday, January 12, 2009

Gear

Click photo to enlarge.

Here is the gear I take with me to measure trees. I recently bought a clinometer. It measures angles and I can figure the height of a tree by using a trigonometric equation using the calculator.

I always like to carry my bird book, because I never know when I will catch a glimpse of a bird.

Compass: Not paying attention to where I am going, I have gotten lost in the past. So a compass will help me find my way back. I also use it to describe where a tree is.

10X hand lens: I use this to look at tree buds, leaf scars and bundle scars. This information helps me ID the tree.

100' steel tape: I use it to find the circumference of a tree the the crown spread. I use it to calculate the height of trees.

25' tape. I can get a quick read of a tree's diameter with this.



Here I am reeling the tape out to find the distance to a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment