Thursday, January 15, 2009

Warm Sunday Hike

I was planning to go on a woods hike and my daughter asked if she could go with me. I immediately said yes and changed my hike to a more civilized place.


In the center of this photo, trees are leaning toward it from both right and left, I measured a Black locust. I had not measured this species before. I also wanted to show my daughter how its done.
Circumference 4' 8"
Height 82'
Canopy 38' & 27'
Total Points 146

A lot of the Black locusts I have run across lately have the narrow crown and a bowl about the same as the one pictured here.




Later we came to this Bur oak, (the larger tree on the right side of the woods). Its circumference was 111" I made note of this and would come back to measure if it was a tree that would be bigger than what I had done before or the biggest in this park. It wasn't, when I got home there was only one Bur oak in my measurement records, that had a smaller diameter.


Here was a nice American Sycamore. The circumference was 143" Not big for this type of tree. I've got another tree that I may go to that has a rough measure of circumference of 179". Now if that tree is tall it may be the largest Sycamore I have measured.


Here is the trail we walked on. The weather was nice above freezing. But because of that we slipped on mud often.


Getting close to the car there was a branch across the trail that I set the camera on to get a self portrait of us. My dog thought we were in a race as I ran for the pose. She ran on by and you see a little of her as she came back as the camera took a photo.

I had kept my eye out for Shagbark hickory but I didn't see any.

No comments:

Post a Comment