Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Snag


Here is another snag I found not far from the one I posted on Dec 2nd. I used the term den trees which is a live tree that wildlife uses for nests etc. The proper term is snag when the tree is dead.

Woodpeckers are the first to use the snag to hollow out a cavity for nesting. Later other birds such as chickadees, blue birds, kestrels and screech owls will use these holes.

There is a Missouri Conservation pamphlet on this which recommends 7 den trees per acre. I would use 7 trees as a max. Another article recommended 2 to 3 den trees an acre. But it's obvious, that if wildlife is a priority, protecting den trees and snags will help.


Psalm 43:3
O send out Your light and Your truth, let them lead me;
Let them bring me to Your holy hill And to Your dwelling places.

No comments:

Post a Comment