Monday, January 28, 2008

White Oak Measured 176 Points


Here is a tree in the center of the photo that dominates this part of the woods. As I make my way over to it I am not sure what kind of tree it is other than an oak.

I decide to measure the tree.

I come up with a height of 63 feet.
A canopy of 59' one way and the other way of 66'
And a circumference of 8 feet 5 inches or 97"
Total points of 176

My height measurements are always questionable. I would like to get a clinometer but they are a little pricey.


Looking at the trees bowl I zoomed in on a hole in one place where a branch used to be.


The tree had a couple of dead branches that show an interesting pattern of how bark stops near the bole of the tree. Click on the photo for a larger view of the tree.


This view of the tree is shot from the base of the tree up.

The tree is not far from the trees I talked about yesterday.


Many oaks are hard to identify in the winter but there were plenty of leaves like this White oak leaf at the base of the tree. So until further evidence is found I will call this tree a White oak. One problem I have with calling it a White oak is because the bark is not characteristic of White oaks. White oaks usually have light gray bark and the bark is flaky. This tree does not have this bark.


These 2 trees were just east of the tree I measured and will be a sign for what to look for when I return to find this tree again. Looking at the first photo you can see them further up the hill from the oak I measured.


Both of these trees are Red oaks (shumard oak is another possibility). This is a close up of the one on the left. I would classify this tree as a den tree because of the hole in the bole.


Psalm 55:22 "Cast your burden upon the Lord and He will sustain you;
He will never allow the righteous to be shaken."

No comments:

Post a Comment